Send your thoughts to BostonRevue@gmail.com or leave a comment! Or friend us on Facebook!

Stay Tuned, Forks...

Hey Forks! Longtime, no eat! I've got a couple revues coming your way, so stay tuned!

March 7, 2011

The (South) Shore Part II

http://www.cabbyshack.com/


You know how you watch the Food Network obsessively and drooooooooool over all the food and restaurants they showcase? You do it, right? Well, if you keep a running list of places you aspire to dine, like me, I now have one more to check off my list!


Roomie and I are avid fans/relentless mockers of the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". If you aren't hip to it, this show provides each episode with a theme. "Guilty Pleasure", "Best Eaten With a Spoon", "Best BBQ", etc, etc. And the chefs that you see on the Food Network regularly make up the cast of the show and vary every episode. I've seen Giada, Claire Robinson, Bobby Flay, etc. The show also features many people that you may have seen once or twice on certain Food Network reality shows or challenge shows. But regardless of who is featured, we're always mocking someone.

The scripts are almost always filled with double entendres, include extreme close-ups of people chewing and often allow the featured cast memebers to talk with their mouths open. The double entendres are the worst. Don't you know what you're saying??? You should NEVER say the phrase, "It was like an explosion in my mouth.". NEVER.

Ok...where am I going with this??? Ah yes, so Roomie and I saw an episode where Beau McMillian, former Bostonian, raved about the Cabby Shack's Clam Chowdah in a Bread Bowl. Roomie, a fan of chowder, was immediately smitten when they discussed teh fact that the chowder is finished with extra butter on the top. The kid loves butter.

I was on board for adding the Cabby Shack to our list because it's on the water in Plymouth and I thought this would be a great place for the summer. And after going in this weekend, on a dark and balmy March evening, I stand by the fact that I think this place will be great in the summer.

The drive from Duxbury to Plymouth was a real treat, for me. I love seeing the old houses and driving into Historic Plimouth. And when you turn that corner to approach the wharf, knowing the ocean is right in front of you, everything sparkling in twinkle lights, it is very pleasing. I had an immediate visual of what this place can be like in the summer. Outdoor seating, eating dinner after a day at the beach, cold beers, live music. It was a magical day (night) dream. But all the same, I was happy when we arrived and excited to try the chowder.

The inside crowd was definitely that made up of locals. I noticed lots of people were drinking, rather than having dinner. A band was setting up, too.

We immediately decided we would order the chowder as an appetizer and share it. The waitress gave us a knowning nod when we ordered. Guess lots of people go there for the chowder! And it was just like we'd see on TV. The bowl was overflowing and there was an extra peice of bread, toasted, on top. The entire thing was gone in about 4 minutes. Not a smidge left. I thought that it was a very good and traditional chowder. The bread bowl sets it over the top. I also enjoyed the amount of potato in the there. It's always better with lots of potato. I liked it. Roomie LOVED it.

And yes, we ordered entrees, too. Roomie had the Fish & Chips and I had the Baked Stuffed Haddock, a first for me.

The Fish & Chips were excellent. The fish looked prefectly fried and flaked apart the second the fork touched it. My dish was...interesting, as I now realize that I am not big on seafood that has any sort of cream on it. (Sort of why I am not a huge fan of Clam Chowder. I eat all the potatos and bread, but I leave the clams.) The stuffing on the haddock was definitely crab meat, which was nice. However, for me, the lobster cream sauce on top was not what my taste buds wanted. It was a delicious sauce, don't get me wrong...I just couldn't really enjoy it on the haddock. And the stuffing is not something I'm into, as I also now know. I am definitely a standard Baked Haddock type of gal. No crab stuffing or cream sauce. That being said, each entity of the dish was good and well made. I am sure someone who doesn't have this weird neurosis would love this dish.

It is already decided that WHEN (not if) we go back this summer I am getting the mussles and Roomie is getting one of the lobster dishes.

All in all, we're glad we listened to the Food Network and can check this spot off our To-Dine list. But now it's moved to our, Gotta Go Again list.

The Chowdah was pissah! Go try it!
 
(Check back for Part III on 3/8!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment