Send your thoughts to BostonRevue@gmail.com or leave a comment! Or friend us on Facebook!

Stay Tuned, Forks...

Hey Forks! Longtime, no eat! I've got a couple revues coming your way, so stay tuned!

April 12, 2011

Post 390 - The brunch is no fluff!

Post 390
http://www.post390restaurant.com/
390 Stuart St
Boston, MA


Post 390 caught my eye the evening that I attended the shower @ BarLola.  We had parked our car in the garage underneath 390 that evening and when we surfaced, I made a mental note to check out this place someday.

The next day was gorgeous and the hangover was minimal, so I decided, in a split second, to get up and head into the city to enjoy the weather while I had the chance.  So with my trusty T pass, sunglasses and book, I headed to the red line to hope a T to Park Street.  There, I exited to make my journey through the Commons and Gardens.

Dogs were out, kiddies were squealing.  Lots of groups playing ladderball or soccer.  It's great to stroll around the Common.  The best people watching in the city.  As I made my way through the Public Gardens, I noticed what looked like a "homebase" had been setup at the corner of Boylston and Arlington.  Sunday was in fact the day of the Greek Parade and I got the chance to see it from beginning to...well, just the beginning.  I was so hungry that after watching about 10 minutes, I had to move on.

Since I was now in the Back Bay area, it dawned on me to walk down Clarendon and take a look at 390's menu.  When I saw it wasn't too crowded, dimly lit and brunch was still being served at 2pm, I was locked in.

They were happy to seat me, as a party of 1, in a nice cozy high top booth for 2.  Every seat is a good seat because you are surrounded by windows, with a great view of the happenings around you outside, so even in a place that isn't crowded, you still feel like things are hopping!

At the same time, it was very relaxing inside on this Sunday.  The music was modern, acoustic and familiar, the waitstaff spoke in gentle tones.  It was quite nice after just bustling my way up the crowded, windy streets of Back Bay.

Brunch.  I tend to lean more towards the breakfast side of brunch.  Although I did consider the House Smoked Salmon and the Crab & Avocado Salad, I just accepted the fact that I was going to have to stick with guns...er, Pancakes.

The night before, during a Bridal Shower and Bachelorette Antics, another friend mentioned a recent outing to IHOP, where she had Cinnabon pancakes that tasted amazing.  Here at 390 I noticed they served Cinammon Roll French Toast with a Banana Creme Brulee.  I was seriously considering this because of how decadent it sounded.  But soon my waiter came by with Bloody Mary and to inform me of the day's Brunch Special.  Fluffernutter Pancakes with a Merange topping.

No sooner did like nice young man finish describing the pancakes did I pounce.  "So can I get a side of home fries with that".  Done and Done.  They were on their way.


I was quietly reading and highly enjoying my spicy Bloody Mary, patiently waiting for what I assumed would be a little stack of cakes piled up with...with I have no idea.  I had no clue what to expect.

What arrived was 2 large pancakes covered in powdered sugar and topped with the merange which looked a gooey glob of toasted marshmallow.  And much to my 'buds enjoyment, that is exactly what it tasted like.  Yes, I tried the topping first.

I added a little maple syrup, as that's all I really care for, and dug in.  The Fluffernutter pancakes tasted like warm, undercooked peanut butter cookies.  When you took a bite of the pancake and marshmallow, it was exactly like Peanut Butter and Fluff.  I felt like the book I brought should have been Ramona or the Babysitters Club, because this breakfast made me feel like I was a kid again.  We always had peanut butter & fluff sandwiches growing up.

It felt like hours had gone by and I hadn't even finished one pancake.  There is no exaggeration when I tell you that each cake was roughly the size of a small bar style pizza.  I tried to keep going, but my belly said, "Stop it!".  My 'buds and my belly are always at odds.

As I was paying, I thanked the waiter for suggestion the special.  What I learned then was the chef often tries to reinterpret sandwiches as pancake specials for Sunday Brunch.  Apparently the Sunday prior the special was a pancake that was inspired by a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  This I find great fun and creative.

390 was a great spot for brunch, but I think the night life could be pretty promising as well.  I really liked the bar and, again, the feel of the windows all around. 

Spontaneous brunching at 390 gets 390 silver dollar pancakes from me.  Good eats. Good Fluff.

...But how will these pancakes faire next to the Fried Fluffernutter @ Southie's newest haunt Local 149???  We'll see, forks.  It's a Fluff-Off!!!  ....Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Starting May 1st I demand to be your brunch sidekick.

    ReplyDelete