Send your thoughts to BostonRevue@gmail.com or leave a comment! Or friend us on Facebook!

Stay Tuned, Forks...

Hey Forks! Longtime, no eat! I've got a couple revues coming your way, so stay tuned!

July 20, 2009

A Mini Martini Sampler Vs. Sangria

Vs.

http://www.joesamerican.com/ http://www.skylinemarinabay.com/



A Spontaneous Battle of Booze
Locations: Skyline @ Marina Bay - Outdoors / Joe's American Bar & Grill - Indoors
Climate: 80s, sunny, beautiful / Drizzly rain
Partner in Crime: Iesha, drummer/singer of The Bricks

On one of the first days that felt like summer this entire...uh, summer, I experienced an afternoon of spontaneity that cannot be topped.


I started off my day at the beach, totally stunned at how hot it got and thankful that there wasn't a red flag up signally oceanic bacteria on the lifeguard stand. When this got old I gave Iesha a call, who suggested we hang out...Cocktails seemed like the natural choice. It was the weekend, afterall.


First bar: Skyline at Marina Bay. I felt so fancy. The only other time I'd ever been to Marina Bay was for a rehearsal dinner. So imagine my excitement at the thought of eating outdoors, in my bathing suit and flip flops! No sooner were we seated did we notice the gals next to us had a Mini Martini Sampler: 4 Mini Martinis on a tray in 4 different flavors. Again, it just seemed natural that we order it, as well! And we did.


The 4 flavors were: Blue Eyed Blonde, Pomegranite, Melon and Grapefruit. I initially had high hopes for the Grapefruit, but sadly it tasted like burning acid being poured down my throat. Not that I didn't finish it. The Pomegranite and Melon were oddly similar and had bitter after tastes. The Blue Eyed Blonde, however, was as pleasing to the 'buds (tastebuds) as it was the eye. It was blue and yellow and delicious. In the end, Iesha and I ended up ordering a full size Blue Eyed Blonde each. Or was it 2 more each? Hard to say.


Later we moved on to do some shopping. The mall just happened to have a Joe's American Bar & Grill, whose Sangria came highly regarded by Iesha. I'd heard her mention it in the past and we decided that there was no time like the present. There was plenty of room at the bar for us to mosey up and hunker down.

I was expecting the bartender to take 2 glasses of ice and walk over to a premade pitcher of Sangria and pour. Instead the bartender took two large high ball glasses of ice and walked right over to the booze and began to create each cocktail from scratch. And after taking one sip, you'd never tell that someone hadn't slaved all day over the wine allowing fruits and flavors to ferment. No. This shit was whipped up in no time and sucked down in no time, might I add. Delicious. We even got the recipe from the bartender, who enjoyed talking to us, which I always enjoy. Enjoyable.


So ultimately the challenge boils down to this: An outdoor setting with 3 bad martinis, and one that was exceptional versus an indoor chain restaurant with fun staff and delicious sangria that tasted like biting into a plum and an apple simultaneously.


Winner: Joe's Sangria. This concoction gets 3 Cheers from me! I highly suggest it, but cannot share the recipe. You'll have to go there and get your own chatty bartender. Hey, we put in good work to get this info.

No comments:

Post a Comment