Send your thoughts to BostonRevue@gmail.com or leave a comment! Or friend us on Facebook!

Stay Tuned, Forks...

Hey Forks! Longtime, no eat! I've got a couple revues coming your way, so stay tuned!

July 20, 2009

Lunch @ Piattini



Piattini



Meal: Lunch
Seating: Outdoors
Time/Climate: Sunday afternoon, 80s, sunny, low humidity
Dining Companion: Sister

I have eaten at Piattini many times, but always for dinner. Never lunch. This particular Sunday was absolutely beautiful and I was craving a certain dish. Lunch had to be at this venue. And outside!

Lucky for me, Sister was free and easy to convince into taking this spontaneous trip into Boston with me. Lucky for both of us we got the last open table outside upon our arrival. We were seated immediately.

As I said, I've eaten there numerous times (As much as I subscribe to the philosophy of always being open to try new things, I also believe that "if something works, I stick with it.", to quote John Candy from Splash.). However, lunch would be a first!

What I knew going into this restaurant is that they're a self proclaimed wine bar with a solid base of Italian cuisine. To be precise, they're known for their Tapas! Traditionally, Tapas are Spainish, small portions and ordered in multiples, designed to share and create an open atmosphere. More and more, trendy restaurants are serving their own versions of Tapas in any and all walks of cuisine. Piattini's got the Italian version down.

Immediately I knew that I wanted 2 Tapas, hoping Sister would choose something else from the lunch menu that she'd be willing to share. We ordered the following from the Lunch Menu: Caprese Salad, 1 order of Beef Carpaccio, 1 order of Veal Ravioli and the Vegetarian Wrap.

Caprese Salad:
Large beef steak tomatoes and thick slices of buffalo mozzerella dressed in a light pesto served over mixed greens with balsamic dressing. Aboslutely delicious. I've had plenty of Caprese Salads but the surprise of the pesto made me quite happy. Pesto...you can never go wrong with it.

Vegetarian Wrap:
A wheat wrap filled with red peppers, artichokes, mushrooms and goat cheese. I thought this sounded great! Of all the wraps and panninis on their lunch menu, this one looked the best. I, however, was underwhelmed. And I didn't taste any goat cheese...and I love goat cheese. I could write a song about goat cheese. I really wanted the goat cheese. Sister, however, loved the wrap and was very pleased. Therefore, I consider that order a success. It was served with a side of mixed greens salad. This led my sister to ask me if it would be rude to inquire as to where her french fries were...I thought it might be best that she leave the jokes alone. After all, we were on Newbury street...I was afraid we would be banished. The Sweeneys are not exactly hip enough for Newburey street, but that would never stop us from eating there!

Veal Ravioli:
True Tapas. 4 cheese and veal filled ravioli in a brandied marsala with mushrooms. How can I put this without sounding like a complete moron...These ravioli are like soft pillows of heaven floating on top of a sauce that angels must have made...how was that? These were the best 3 raviloi I have ever eaten, minus the one Sister had and sort of shrugged off. Blasphamey. I get this dish every single time I eat here and have never once been dissapointed. The chesee and the veal are the perfect ratio, so there is no over powering and I really appreciate that.

Beef Carpaccio:
Another Tapas item, one I always have to have. Carpaccio is essentially raw beef sliced so thin that it's almost translucent, drizzled in olive oil served on a bed of arugala and capers. I always avoid the capers and get right down to business. The beef is so perfectly pink and the olive oil all over it is so simple that you'll be astouned by how much flavor you find. I love this dish. It never fails me.

In addition to the amazing food and beautiful weather, the service was very attentive. Any time my water glass looke empty, someone was right there to refill. Our waitress timed the delivery of each order perfectly, so we weren't rushing to make room for more plates. All in all the meal was exactly what I expected. Tastebuds satisfied!


Piattini - I rate this restaurant: 4 Forks. Hell, I give them the entire flatware set, including the ladels and tongs.

4 comments:

  1. you made me want to take a trip to Newbury Street.... I seldom visit eateries in Boston.... perhaps Megan will join me ?? Thanks Kristen - I enjoyed the review ! M.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so new at Blogging - not sure how to add my name -- please give some advise -- what do you pick under select profile ?? - M.A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just made myself a google account...

    ReplyDelete