Send your thoughts to BostonRevue@gmail.com or leave a comment! Or friend us on Facebook!

Stay Tuned, Forks...

Hey Forks! Longtime, no eat! I've got a couple revues coming your way, so stay tuned!

February 15, 2011

A spot that is creeping up in the realm of All Time Favorites: The Franklin

http://www.franklincafe.com/

(Photo to come...Blogger is being a sour apple)


Where: 152 Dorchester Avenue, South Boston

When: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
$$$ = Worth every penny
Frequent co-eaters at this establishment: Sister, Iesha, Dreama, Roomie
Brought into my life by: James, to whom I bow down as if he were Ice Cube
Recent Dishes consumed: Handcut Fries, Korean Barbecue Tacos, Sweet Chili Glazed-make you want to die it's so good-Eggplant.

Carole King, did you write a song about this place...because The Franklin is a hit every single season;  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall! (Insert your snarky eye-rolling, here, please.)  And yes, it is good to know you've got a friend.  I'd like to take this opportunity to thank James (not Taylor); a friend who showed me the light. When I was just a poor lonely gal living at home with parents, he knew just where to take me.

Every since our dinner a couple years back, I've done my civic duty and forced people to go here again and again and again.  I quite often take Sister hostage.  She's a pretty big fan by now.  It's the first place she ever laid ears on Florence + the Machine, I might add.  Always a plus, having your ears enjoy the establishment as well as your 'buds.

I've also graced the Franklin w/ Iesha and Dreama, who were lovely dates.  Our date was during the Summer season and we got to sit out on the back patio at night.  It was really nice.  We also had the pleasure of ordering their summer cocktails.  The Cucumber Collins is probably one of the greatest mixed drinks I've ever had.  It's very subtle on the cucumber, heavy on the bubbles and I think I always taste a little lime in there.  Lime is always good.

My most recent trek here was just a few weekends ago, with Sister.  Sure it's cold, but it's only steps from the Broadway T stop, so who cares?  We arrived around 7:30ish.  Maybe closer to 8.  The place was pretty packed, including the bar area.  However, there was this one lonely table right by the hostess stand that people kept turning down.  But guess who didn't?  These Sweeneys.  Sorry suckers!  We're not seriously pretentious enough to turn down a table, just cause it's not in the back and we might get whacked with a cannoli.  We were hungry, we had to be at a concert before 10, we're not picky, give us the food.  To be honest, I think people were intimidated by the proximity to the door and possibility of catching a draft when it opened.  Never happened.

Before dinner, we were served their standard bread and rolls with hummus spread.  Very good and very addicting.  I love this trend of serving hummus rather than butter.  I'm not a big fan of bread and butter.  And when I say "not a big fan", I mean, not a fan at all.  Drinks were a beer for sister and a vodka & seltzer for me.  Nothing too fancy.  In the past we've ordered Proseco, wine.  They've got fun options for it all.

For starters we ordered the Hand Cut Fries, which were definitely seasoned with garlic and truffle oil.  A delicious trend that I've seen taking over the starches.  And I'm not complaining.  (I just had a Gilmore Girls moment...do you think people out there really consider French Fries the Devil's starchy fingers?)

Dinner was quite Asian, if I do say so myself.  Sister got the Korean BBQ Tacos, which are actually an appetizer.  I got the Sweet Chili Glazed Eggplant over Kimchi Fried Rice. 

I know the Korean BBQ Tacos are good because I've had them with Roomie in the past.  They're very delicious.  The portion is 2 flat shell tacos, that are piled with meat and julienned veggies, best eaten with a fork and knife.  They're quite kick ass.  And of course the Eggplant dish was amazing because, say it with me now, it was Sweet and Spicy!!!  Bapbabadah!  (That's my typographical impression of a trumpet sounding.)  The eggplant was presented on the rice in 2 long strips, which I thought looked really pretty.  I like pretty food.  The ratio of the sauce to the food was just right.  I don't like when the sauce out numbers the food. 

Another fun little perk about the Franklin is that with the exception of 1 dining experience, I've always been served by Sal, a nice guy who always recognizes me and is very good at suggesting an entree or a bottle of wine.  He's always smiling and attentive.  Sometimes I want to hug Sal, and I'm very awkward about hugging.

We didn't get dessert this time around.  In the past, Sister and I have had the Creme Brulee, which is pretty good.  It's one of Sister's favorite desserts, so her approval means something.  I like it enough to share.  I couldn't eat an entire portion on my own.  But that is anywhere and should not directly reflect anything specific about the Franklin's.

I also enjoy the darkness of the restaurant and, again, the really good music.  The outdoor space is so nice when the weather permits and their ever rotating menus are really exciting.  And to add to this rave, they also have a Gluten Free and Vegetarian menu.  Their specials are always really exciting, too.

The next time I go back, I'm getting Tempura Fried Artichokes.  I give this place a 4 Seasons rating with an Indian Summer, to boot.  Go there.  Take me with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment